Tuesday 16 December 2008

Strictly Stoke-on-Trent

In an attempt to lose a few pounds (not money, weight) before Christmas here in Stoke-on-Trent we have come up with the idea of ballroom dancing during our lunch breaks.
Well if old Brucie can do aged 146, we should be able to give it a bash. The idea came from an article in The Sentinel. I had two concerns. Firstly, who would want to dance with me, I've got two left feet, and secondly, why our office junior had an unhealthy interest in wearing a sequined dress. It made me think about who from the Potteries would give Brucie a run for his money on Strictly. How about football legend Alan Hudson for his silky footwork; Phil "The Power" Taylor for his ability to throw fellow dancers across the floor in a straight line; Nick Hancock for his talent to tell better jokes than Mr Generation Game or Stoke City player Mama Sidibe because he can leap higher than anyone else...Anyway, three people turned up to our own version of lunchtime Strictly and it quickly turned into a farce when I tried to lift our 18st human resources manager. At the time, it seemed a good idea. It didn't seem to do Austin Healey any harm. Three hours later, I firmly believe I made an error of judgment as I wait on a trolley in a corridor at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire. My fear is not the treatment of the slipped disc but what other illnesses I may acquire...should you wish to read more about life in the Potteries, go to The Sentinel...


No comments: